Thursday, April 14, 2016

The Tenants, The Oath, and The Code of Tae Kwon Do: A Series

The Tenants of Tae Kwon Do
Courtesy
Integrity
Perseverance
Self Control
Indomitable Spirit

The Oath of Tae Kwon Do
I shall observe the tenants of Tae Kwon Do.
I shall respect my instructors and seniors.
I shall never misuse Tae Kwon Do.
I shall be a champion of freedom and justice.
I shall help to build a more peaceful world.

The Five Point Code of Conduct
  1. Be loyal to your king
  2. Be obedient to your parents
  3. Be honorable to your friends
  4. Never retreat in battle
  5. Always make a just kill
What makes the oath, tenants and code so important is that they are essential guidelines for living an honorable life. And although some of the phrases may seem out dated, they are very much applicable today. The oath and tenants are learned when a student is a white belt. They are often repeated at the end of every class, before class closes. By repeating the oath and tenants together as a class, we are each held accountable by our peers to the highest standards and meanings of each phrase. As part of a person's training knowledge of the above things becomes crucial. In the next couple of blog posts, I look forward to dissecting and discussing the in depth meanings of the aspects of the: tenants, oath and code.

Spar like a girl!

Sossina 

1 comment: