Friday, April 8, 2016

Let's Talk About Tae Kwon Do

Disclaimer: First of all, I am by no means a master of Tae Kwon Do, nor am I an expert on life.

So who am I? I am a 20yr old female. I also have my 1st Dan (1st Degree) black belt in Tae Kwon Do. I have been mentoring my peers and students in TKD philosophy, forms and meditation since I was in late middle school, high school and now still in college. My whole family started out in TKD together. Eventually my mother and sister dropped out and my dad and I continued up until our blue tip rank together until his back got bad.  I come from a family of teachers and their mentoring has made me quite the mentor/teacher in my own life. I currently reside in Wisconsin and study/assistant teach TKD in Omro. Next year, June 2017 I hope to test for my 2nd degree black belt.

Who is Tae Kwon Do For? There are many things I believe about TKD, but perhaps one of the most important is that, tae kwon do is for everyone. As an assistant instructor, I have never met a willing student that I could not teach. I have coached kids and adults alike with a variety of disabilities. A skilled instructor modifies and critiques TKD movements and traditions to his/her students needs.

What do you gain by engaging in Tae Kwon Do? When I started TKD in the 3rd grade, I didn't understand why my parents put me in a martial arts class with a whole bunch of people I didn't know. I didn't understand what they were doing or why they meditated or dressed so funny. But as a grew, things became clearer. You don't master Tae Kwon Do, it masters you: mentally, physically, spiritually, emotionally. The TDK tenets and oath become a way of life, guidelines for living a true and noble life.

2 comments: